About the campaign
The Dockers’ Union of Russia (DUR), backed by the Confederation of Labour of Russia, says Tikhonov has been falsely accused of embezzling money by the managing director at Vostochny Port, when in fact he is being victimised for legitimate union activity.
The DUR has been under growing pressure since June 2012, when it organised a dockers’ rally against the loss of bonuses for working in hazardous conditions, vacations and other social guarantees.
The DUR believes managers at Vostochny and many other Russian ports are stepping up actions to destroy dockers’ unions. Watch this film of support.
Take action now!
- Use the “take action” buttons on the right of this page to show your support for Tikhonov, the DUR and all dockers under attack around the world.
- Join the solidarity network so you’re up to date on the latest developments in this and other ITF campaigns – tab 1
- Send a message to DUR to show your support – tab 2
- Share this campaign on your own social media channels – tab 3
- Send a protest letter to the Russian government. Copy and paste the below letter template into the form here
Dear President Putin,
We, as a member of the ITF family representing 4.5 million transport workers worldwide, are joining with our brothers and sisters to call for an end to victimisation of union members at Russian ports.
We understand from the Dockers’ Union of Russia, that there has been on-going anti-union action from management at the port of Vostochny and beyond.
The latest has led to the imprisonment of trade union leader, chairman Leonid Tikhonov following false allegations made against him by management.
We call on you to intervene to secure the release of Tikhonov and to take steps to put an end to the current anti-union environment in your country’s ports. We want to see transparent and productive dialogue between port operators and unions.
We, along with our union colleagues worldwide will be watching developments in Russia with interest and hoping for a swift resolution to this situation.
[Insert name & union]